Introduction of the University
Allama Iqbal Open University was established in 1974 under an Act of Parliament. The University started functioning as a recognisable entity in September, 1974 in consequence of Act No. XXXIX passed by the National Assembly of Pakistan in August, 1974.
- To provide facilities to people who cannot leave their homes and jobs, in such manner as it may determine;
- To provide such facilities to the masses for their educational uplift as it may determine
- To provide facilities for the training of teachers in such manner as it may determine
- To provide for instruction in such branches of learning, technology or vocation as it may deem fit, and to make provision for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in such manner as it may determine
- To hold examinations, and to award and confer degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions.