Introduction of the University
Allama Iqbal Open University was established in 1974 under an Act of Parliament. The University started functioning as a recognizable entity in September, 1974 in consequence of Act No. XXXIX passed by the National Assembly of Pakistan in August, 1974.
- To provide facilities to people who cannot leave their homes and jobs, in such manner as it may determine;
- To provide such facilities to the masses for their educational uplift as it may determine
- To provide facilities for the training of teachers in such manner as it may determine
- To provide for instruction in such branches of learning, technology or vocation as it may deem fit, and to make provision for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in such manner as it may determine
- To hold examinations, and to award and confer degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions.
The main objectives of this University are as follows:
The course/programmes of Allama Iqbal Open University are available for Pakistanis in Pakistan as well as in few countries abroad where Pakistanis are temporarily settled. It provides facilities for the educational uplift of those who are unable to attend conventional institutions.
DISTANCE EDUCATION SYSTEM
The Allama Iqbal Open University is a distance education institution which provides educational facilities at the door steps of the learners. The main components of its teaching system are:
Correspondence package which includes self-learning printed text and supplementary study material.
- Radio and Television broadcasts, specially prepared for distance learners (only in Pakistan).
- Correspondence tuition and face to face tutorial meetings, (only in Pakistan).
- Course assignments (as an instrument both for teaching and continuous assessment).
Final examination at the end of the Semester. Exams are held at Pakistan Embassy, Consulate General or in Pakistani school.
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMES OF AIOU
The University offers its educational programmes in the following four areas:
Functional, Technical and Professional Education
For overseas students, only General Education Programmes i.e. Matric, Intermediate, BA and Elementary Arabic are offered.